Canyon Rock Asphalt Facility Project Permit Sonoma Process Timeline
(Project File Number PLP22-0027)
The County of Sonoma Permit and Resource Management Department (Permit Sonoma) is preparing a Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (DSEIR) for the installation and operation of an asphalt batch plant at the existing Canyon Rock Company Quarry, 7525 CA-116, Forestville, and a rezone of portions of Assessor Parcel Numbers (APNs) 083-210-017 and 083-210-018 to the Mineral Resource (MR) Combining District to allow for the asphalt facility as an ancillary use to the existing quarry operation, and approve an amendment to the existing Reclamation Plan to encompass the asphalt facility and provide for the reclamation of the area in accordance with California’s Surface Mining and Reclamation Act of 1975 (SMARA). Collectively, these actions comprise the “proposed project” or the “Canyon Rock Asphalt Facility Project.”
- August 7, 2023 – Notice of Preparation (NOP) and Virtual Public Scoping Meeting: Permit Sonoma has published a Notice of Preparation (NOP), which notifies responsible agencies and interested parties of its intent to prepare a Draft Subsequent Environmental Impact Report (DSEIR) for the project and invites agencies and interested members of the public to provide written input on the scope of the environmental analysis. The NOP describes the project that will be analyzed in the EIR and identifies areas of probable environmental effects. Notice of Preparation (PDF) at: Canyon Rock Asphalt Facility
- August 21, 2023 – Scoping Meeting: The County held a virtual scoping meeting to provide an additional opportunity for agency staff and interested members of the public to submit comments, either written or verbal, on the scope of the environmental issues to be addressed in the EIR. The scoping meeting was held on Monday, August 21, 2023 from 6:00 PM to 7:00 PM. Members of the public can watch or listen to the meeting. Documents: Scoping Meeting Powerpoint Presentation – August 21, 2023 (PDF) at: Canyon Rock Asphalt Facility
- August 21, 2023 – LRRMAC Informational Meeting: September 14, 2023 – Lower Russian River MAC Meeting
- September 21, 2023 – DEADLINE for Scoping comments in order to be included in the Draft Environmental Impact Report. Comments can be submitted at any time (see below).
- September 2024 (estimated publish date) Draft Environmental Impact Report (DEIR): Once the DEIR is published and available for review and public comment, then public comments received during the comment period are evaluated and responded to by the County and typically addressed in the Final EIR. Comments can be submitted anytime before, during, and after the DEIR is published and made public as part of the staff report and public record. Comments made during the public comment period would be addressed according to the CEQA guidelines. Once published, the comment period is open for 30-45 days, depending on the specific circumstances. If the State has to review it, then it is 45 days. Paper copies will be available at the local regional libraries and also at Permit Sonoma. And ONLINE at: Canyon Rock Asphalt Facility
Property owners and neighbors within 300 feet of a proposed project site also receive the Notice of Availability by mail including project contact information to address questions and receive written comment.
- DATE T.B.A. (To Be Announced) – Planning Commission reviews the project and receives verbal comments on the Draft EIR during public hearings.
- ALL letters/comments submitted and responses are included in the NOP, DEIR, EIR.
- DATE T.B.A. – The FINAL EIR is then presented to the Board of Supervisors during a public meeting when both the supervisors and public can make comments and ask questions before approval has been given to proceed.
- DATE T.B.A. – The Board of Supervisors has the final vote on acceptance or rejection of the project.
Public Comment – Comments can be emailed to Robert.Aguero@sonoma-county.org or mailed to:
Permit Sonoma, Attn: Robert Aguero, 2550 Ventura Avenue, Santa Rosa, CA 95403
More info here:
Zoning & Parcel Report